Employers spend a lot of time and resources in the recruiting and interviewing process. As a candidate, you need to demonstrate how your skills and experiences can add value to the employer. The tips below will help to ensure a successful interview.
On the day prior to your interview:
- Confirm the directions, the name of the company contact, the phone number, and the scheduled interview time.
- Review the position description so that you are well versed in the requirements.
- Visit the company’s web site, if they have one, so that you may become knowledgeable about the company and their line of business.
- Prepare a list of questions that you may want to address with the interviewer.
In other words, be organized and be prepared!
On the day of the interview:
- Wear professional attire – make sure your clothes are cleaned, pressed and well fitted.
- Do not wear an over-abundance of makeup, perfume or cologne.
- Allow yourself sufficient travel time (keep in mind the traffic, construction, etc.), but arrive no more and no less than 15 minutes earlier.
- Take a copy of your Davron-formatted resume with you.
- Carry a portfolio or briefcase with your resume, pens, etc.
- If you smoke, try not to do so immediately before the interview.
During the interview:
- Make eye contact when talking, spoken to, and when shaking hands
- Sit straight – don’t slouch or put your elbows or hands on the interviewer’s desk
- Avoid ‘bad-mouthing’ previous employers or sharing negative job experiences
- Verbalize your strengths and how you could be an asset to the company
- Try to keep your answers brief, short, and to the point
- Relate your skills to the responsibilities of the position for which you are interviewing
Following the interview:
- Call your Davron Representative to discuss how the interview went
- Promptly send a ‘Thank You’ letter – thank the interviewer for meeting with you and let them know you’re interested in the position. Tell them you look forward to hearing from them