As the labor market slowly heals, we see more and more new job opportunities opening. That is positive news for those looking for a job. Perhaps you feel you are at the end of your rope in your job search. Always remember what Dale Carnegie, the legendary author of “The Power of Positive Thinking” advised, “Most people give up right when they’re on the edge of success.”
People who believe in themselves and have a positive attitude and outlook attract other positive people and are invariably the last to be laid off and, if so, also the first to find a new job. How these people maintain that resolute approach to life no matter the challenges and how you can benefit, both as a person and as a job seeker, is the subject of this article.
With over twelve years of experience in recruiting and placing professional and technical experts in key corporate positions, Davron’s staff has worked with hundreds of local, regional and national employers. We have spoken with some of the brightest, most successful executives and managers who lead companies of all sizes and in a variety of industries as well as thousands of job seekers who are professional and technical experts. From this research, we identified the Top 10 Traits that assisted these corporate leaders and industry experts in achieving their level of success, both personally and in the business world.
These common traits are not listed in order of importance and are shared by America’s most successful business leaders and top employees.
Davron’s Top 10 Traits for a Successful Career
- Optimism – A sustained belief in and expectation of positive outcomes in the face of difficulty, challenge or crisis.
- Enthusiasm – A high level of interest, positive energy, passion or personal motivation.
- Belief – Faith and trust in oneself, others and/or a higher spiritual power to provide support and guidance whenever needed.
- Integrity – Acting on a personal commitment to honesty, openness and fairness. Living by and for one’s high standards and being true to one’s word.
- Courage – The willingness to take risks and overcome fears, even when the outcome is uncertain.
- Confidence – Being personally assured of one’s abilities, capabilities and potential to perform the job.
- Determination – The tireless pursuit of a goal, purpose or just cause.
- Patience – The willingness to wait for opportunity, readiness or results from oneself or others.
- Calmness – Maintaining serenity and seeking balance daily in response to difficulty, challenge or crisis. Taking time to reflect and think.
- Focus – Attention directed through the setting and achieving of goals and priorities.
So there you have it – the secrets of successful executives and top employees. Although we suspect none of the traits listed came as a surprise, it is always good to go back to the basics. If you are looking for a job, are you doing so with determination and optimism?
Do you show confidence and enthusiasm?
Successful executives and top producers regularly set and list their goals, both short and long term. Take your career in a new direction and reenergize your job search by writing down the 10 traits. Note your strong points and which traits could use improvement.
Certainly, there are other common traits such as sincerity, caring for others and dedication that could be in your Top 10 Traits and you could add to your list. Keep the list in your wallet or purse and post it on your desk as a constant reminder.
Identify the traits that are your strongest and which need improvement. Determine how to address your strengths and weaknesses. Evaluate and improve your attitude and character to ensure you too are successful.